Sunday, November 13, 2011

RE: Proposals

This post is in response to a friend of mine with the blog Sew Dysfunctional.  Check her out.
In her post Proposals she asked for stories, so here's mine.

The year after I graduated from college, I went on a mission trip with my family and the church I grew up in.  We went to Cleveland, Oh for the second year in a row.  Chase went with us the previous year but this time he had planned a trip with his three best friends, the Homies. They all had just graduated too and were taking a trip to Florida to celebrate.  My birthday just happened to fall on the last weekend of our trips. Different things had always came up and Chase hadn't been in town for my birthday while we were dating so I was bummed that he'd be out of town again. 
Anyway, the mission trip went well.  We worked on some homes in the city, played with some sweet kids, and I got to spend time with my family.  Chase was having a good time with his friends at the beach even though he had to work on his online masters classes he just started.  The day we scheduled as a fun day, just happened to be my birthday and we went to Cedar Point.  We rode tons of rides and were having a great time.  While in line for the Mantis, I heard a familiar voice behind me.  Turning around I had to do a double take because how could someone in Florida be standing right beside me? It was a great Birthday Surprise!!  Chase flew in early from his trip and drove all the way up to Cedar Point just to show me he cared about my birthday! How sweet?!
After riding the Mantis, he asked if we could ride the Millennium Force in the front row.  Waiting in line, we told each other all about our fun times over the past week.  Finally, we made it to the front of the line and rode the roller coaster.  I kept my eyes closed most of the time, in fear.  We walked down to the end, where the pictures are and all I could think was "why does Chase have his shirt lifted up like some weirdo middle schooler?" Then I noticed there were words on his chest.  The words: Marry Me?
He proceeded to kneel on one knee.  He told me how he wanted to share his life with me and how even though our relationship had kind of felt like a roller coaster at times he wanted to be together for ever and ever.  Then he pulled a ring box from his pocket and I said "yes!"  Since all of my family were at the park we went to tell them.  My brother and sister, had already assumed this was happening, apparently they are more observant than I am.  They noticed his pocket looked fuller than just a phone would make it. What I thought was a GREAT Birthday Surprise ended up being much much better!!  

1 comment: