Thursday, August 25, 2011

New Beginnings

Today began the 2011-2012 school year. Honestly, I was feeling bummed about summer being over and school starting back up.  The summer went by so fast this year.  Even if it didn't feel like it was time, school still started.
Yesterday, I went to a training on how to deescalate agitated students and how to respond if the student becomes violent. Talking about all those different situations made me feel a little nervous for this year and what might be in store. This morning when I met all of the students, I felt a huge sigh of relief because all of them were totally calm and pleasant. Of course, this doesn't mean that the rest of the year will be as stress free but we had a great first day.

A teacher had a sign on her door that said "New Beginnings: How will you start?" This also helped me to think more positively about the school year. I want to start the school year so that the students share respect with me and trust me so that throughout the year I'll be able to have the greatest impact on their learning.

My only complaint from the first day is that while monitoring students outside, my hair became incredibly frizzy because the air down here is so terribly thick!! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment